by Dr Chuda Karki
A meeting of the executive committee of ARDSN was held on 15th May 2015 to plan for emergency relief to the earthquake victims of Nepal. The earthquake measuring 7.6 on Richter Scale hit Nepal on 25th April 2015 causing colossal loss of life and property: about nine thousands lay dead and 17thousands injured with inestimable loss of property.
The executive committee decided as follows:
1) Emergency humanitarian response adopting a small village in Lalitpur district namely Farsidol, Karyavinayak Municipality ward number 9.
2) To provide psycho-social counseling in a limited area.
Field visit Farsidol:
A team consisting Dr Gouri Shankar Lal Das, Dr Chuda Bahadur Karki, Shridhar Lamichhane and Bibendra Pradhanag visited Farsidol village on 17th May 2015 at 11 AM to 2 PM.
Farsidol Village is a small village about 9 Kilometer south from Ring road, Nakkhu Dobato. It spreads over 9 square kilometer area (approximately). It consist 91 households, populated by 416 persons of which female 214 and male 202. The total population comprises 84 children and 44 senior citizens. There are two schools having 110 children. The water supply is working but needs repair. The village is connected by a narrow bumpy graveled road. The ethnic group populating the village is predominantly Tamang which is economically handicapped. The village lies in a picturesque surrounding. However, the scenery has been spoilt by the total destruction of 10 houses and damage to 80% of the houses which are uninhabitable.
While interacting with villager of Farsidol, the primary need spelled out was nutritional supply for School children, shelter, food and water supply for general population and linking the households with main road.
Having seen the situation of the village and interaction with the villagers, Dr Chuda Bahadur Karki of NDA-UK has magnanimously provided Rs. one hundred thousand by cheque immediately to supply Tiffin to the school children. To make participatory decision, ownership of local people, facilitate the process, develop partnership with ARDSN, make the operation transparent, ARDS N formed a local management team consisting:-
• Rajesh Maharjan, Principal of Mahankal Primary school…….. Coordinator
• Sukumaya Lama, Local Social Volunteer…….. Member
• Prem Bhakta Maharjan, Coordinator, Temporary dwellings and re-settlement management committee, Karyavinayak.
• Anisha Tamang, Villager
• Lal Bahadur Tamang, Coordinator, Re-settlement Ward committee of ward no. 9, Karyavinayak.